Sunday, July 14, 2013

07-12-13 - 07-14-13 A Day Trip, New Recipes, Food & Friends

Friday:  This morning I took the bus to the north terminal (Carcelen) to meet up with some friends and then head to Otovalo, which is approximately two hours from our meeting point.  The bus was pretty comfy and one of my friends and I passed the time by chatting and catching up, while most of the others took advantage of the opportunity to take a nap (especially since they had to get up so very early as their house is much further away).  We arrived shortly before lunch time, and visited a couple of shops before meeting up with some friends from the area for lunch.  The town is small and quaint, and I liked it instantly.  One of the shops we visited contained items made from tagua nuts; mostly jewelry, figurines and keychains.

Then we headed a few blocks over to a restaurant called SISA - a charming three story establishment that made you feel as if you had traveled back in time.  The gentleman who worked there immediately recognized my friend and warmly welcomed us.  We met four other sisters serving in the area and enjoyed upbuilding conversation over delicious food - what better way is there to spend an afternoon?

As we were leaving, we became engaged in two conversations with the table next to us; half of us talking to a man from the states who was visiting and the other half talking to the tour guides he was dining with.  We were able to witness to all three of them.

On our way to the market, we stopped for helado (ice cream) and witnessed to another man we encountered. It was a beautiful day to be walking around.  The market was not too busy, but many vendors were available, calling out to the passersby, announcing the goods they had for sale.


 Dog on a Roof

 View of the City

After the market, we took another bus about 25 minutes further to the "leather street" and arrived at the Ministry Ideaz store just before closing.  We each made our purchases and then took the bus back to town to have dinner before departing for Quito.  This time we ate at a great little restaurant, which I can't remember the name.  It was lovely!  My chicken fajitas were delicious.  I also enjoyed a frozen mochaccino drink (coffee, chocolate and ice cream) and we shared the chocolate fondue with fruit platter - delicious!

 Ministry Ideaz

 Dinner Time!

 
  Fruit Platter & Chocolate Fondue - Yum!

A duel with fondue forks

We then got back on the bus to take us back to Quito.  This time, it only took about an hour and a half to reach the Carcelen station, where our taxi met us and took us home.  It was 11:45pm when I crawled into bed... so sleepy.

Saturday:  This morning I slept in and didn't do too much.  I had lunch with some friends in the afternoon at the Magic Bean (we love this place).

Then I headed home, made out my grocery list and walked to the store.  I met up with a friend to exchange a borrowed item, and she too needed to go to the store, so we went together.  It gave us a chance to catch up since we hadn't really talked for a couple days.  We then each walked home and I began cooking as our service group has the privilege of hospitality for the speaker tomorrow.

I was bringing vegan tacos, and vegan chocolate chip cookie dough.  Upon arriving home, I started by making almond butter (you can't just pick this up at the supermarket here).  It was a time-consuming process, but fun, and I was pleased with how simple it was.  Why have I never I done this before?  Then I prepared the rest of the recipe and hoped it would turn out as described.  I soaked all my veggies for the tacos and cooked the mushrooms, cleaned up the kitchen and then spoke with a friend of mine who is back in the States over Skype.  Afterwards, I was too tired to cook the other veggies, so I decided it would be best to finish in the morning and just try to get some sleep.

Sunday:  Today I had to get up and finish cooking and then it was meeting at 10:00am, as usual.  There were only 34 people at our meeting today!  Our local brother delivered an excellent outline nonetheless.  I suspect that many went to the Spanish convention program today.  After the meeting, we all convened for lunch at one of the friend's houses.  It was so nice!








I arrived home around 4:00 that afternoon and cleaned up the kitchen from my mess that morning.  Then I applied for some online teaching jobs, ate dinner and watched a movie. Then I chatted with some friends and family over the internet and updated my calendar as I find that I forget things more easily here (lack of oxygen to the brain perhaps?) Before I know it, its after 11:00pm, which doesn't look good for that early morning workout I was planning... we'll see, I'm still going to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment