Wednesday: 6:30am - I felt like a truck ran over me. I laid in bed for another 30 minutes before cancelling my service plans for that morning. I had only slept for a couple hours during the early morning. I tried to sleep a little more. I woke back up at 8:30 and forced myself out of bed. I thought maybe a hot shower would ease the soreness, but I still felt pretty lousy afterwards. Sitting actually hurt worse than standing, so I set about vacuuming the house, did another load of laundry, cut up a bunch of fruit and cooked food for the week and listened to the current month's magazines.
Then I checked the current job postings, applied for a few more positions and finally updated my blog. I hated missing the meeting, it was the first time since I've been in Quito, but I felt lousy. I'm hoping tomorrow I'll be back to normal.
Thursday: I woke up feeling much better today. Which was a good thing, because I had a lot planned. My Spanish lesson (#4) was scheduled for 10:30 this morning, so when I got up, I tidied up the house, did a load of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, etc. My teacher arrived precisely on time, Ecuadorian speaking (30 minutes late), which I have finally accepted as normal.
We had one hour of class, then a brief interruption for an important errand, then we had lunch together, and finally back to class. Today she gave me a list of verbs to practice conjugating. Next, we concentrated on possessives, then on syllable stress and finally, adjectives - specifically related to comparatives and superlatives. My teacher (friend) is so awesome, and very patient with me! Just before we finished, my doorbell rang - odd, I thought. The only words I understood the gentlemen say were my name, so up I rushed to the gate. I asked my teacher to come with me in case I needed a quick 'real life lesson'.
It was the mailman! I've got mail! I felt like the crazy guy and his little blue dog on that kid's show. I knew exactly what it was, without looking at the sender. I've been waiting for this! I ran back to the house and tore open the package. Inside there were two items; a card (which I am ashamed to admit I set aside for just a moment) and a box of homemade cookies!!!! Then, with a mouthful of cookie, I read the kind words from two very dear friends. It made my day, and not just because the cookies were so delicious. It was like getting a hug in the mail :)
So then, with a happy belly full of yummy cookies, I cleaned up the dishes from lunch, and then did a bit of work on the computer; checking emails, bills, accounts, job postings, etc.
Later in the evening I went to my friend's house who lives nearby for dinner and a movie.

No comments:
Post a Comment