Sunday, June 23, 2013

06-21-13 - 06-23-13 Engagement Party, Encouragement and A Girls' Afternoon

Friday:  This morning I went out in service with my friend and her fleshly sister, who is actually in the Chinese congregation here.  She had wonderful experiences to share and noted to me that they had one person baptized at their assembly a few weeks ago!


 My service partners



The area we were in was called Orquideas (Orchids - my favorite!!)

We stayed out until around 12:30, had a quick bite for lunch, then I met up with my other friend for a study - a very pleasant and sincere Jewish woman.  Its so refreshing and encouraging how diverse our ministry is here.  Its one of the things I love most about Quito.

After the study, my friend and I went shopping for a few remaining items for an engagement party the following day.  I got home around 8:00, had dinner and said good-bye to my guests who were departing that night.

Saturday:  Today I felt tired.  Not like I needed a nap - more like I needed a break.  It had been a rough week in the sense that if one more person whistled, honked, hollered, or blew kisses at me out the car window I was going to break down - it was taking its toll.  And at times, it's even scary. In one round-trip, (I took a taxi out and back) both taxi drivers persistently asked me for my number; which I confess I resorted to lying because "no" apparently wasn't clear enough.  Even then, both gave me their company numbers and personal numbers.  The one pulled over and stopped the cab prior to my destination in order to do so - I was ready to jump out and make a run for it!  The temptation to dye my hair dark grows stronger with each passing week...

That afternoon was the engagement party - an Indian-themed event (as in the country India).  Everything was decorated so lovely and many came dressed appropriately.  The food was wonderful as well.  We all sat around and chatted, then played a game.  Even though it was early, I left after the game, as I was getting quite tired.




















Here is a comical side thought:  I have tan lines on my feet..



Sunday:  This morning was our meeting; and as usual, we had many visitors.  There are always new friendly faces to meet.  Today, I met two sisters; one from Massachusetts and the other from Tennessee.  I also had a very encouraging talk with one of my elders who could tell I was not feeling myself.  He offered kind words of encouragement and I felt much better afterwards :)

That afternoon, a group of us girls went down to Centro Historico to take our visiting sisters around town.

 
 Apparently, this architectural style is representative of the old residences - a center courtyard surrounded by rooms/ living quarters.



A girls' afternoon

We stopped for a late lunch/ early dinner and headed back just as it was getting dark.  Afterwards, I went home to do laundry and clean up a bit around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment