Sunday, May 12, 2013

05-10-13 - 05-12-13 Good Food and Good Friends

Friday:  Today we met in the South for service and I managed to get there rather easily (traveling by myself!), which was pretty good, considering the first set of instructions I received were "get off at the blue and white bakery".  I had flash backs to El Inca and getting lost so I requested additional information from the brother taking the lead that morning.  It took an hour to get there from my house, but I arrived without a hitch.  We had a nice day in the ministry and stopped for lunch around 12:00.  $2.25 almuerza, which includes sopa (soup), pechuga (chicken breast), arroz (rice), ensalada (salad) and plátano (plantain), and fresh tomate jugo (not like tomato juice in the states - this fruit is very sweet, or at least it is when they cook it and/ or add a bunch of sugar to it.)  Anyways, it was delicious.  I am anxious to buy some at the market and try to make my own juice.

Here are some photos I found on the internet:

Tree Tomato - Tomate de árbol

Photo of tomate juice

Afterwards, I went on a return visit with a sister and then met up with another for a study and then some informal witnessing.  It was 5:00 when we finished.  We decided to window shop around the mall and were planning to get some coffee and relax when we ran into a friend from the hall.  So we convinced him to join us for coffee and chatted for a bit before going home our separate ways.

Saturday:  This morning we met at the hall for service and I first went on a study with a sister before meeting up in the territory with one of the groups.  We did census and talked to several English speakers, including a girl who was waiting for someone on the road.  We exchanged contact information and I promised to call her in a few days if I didn't hear from her before then.  We met up with another group and then all headed off to lunch. We went to a pizza place (I had roasted chicken and salad).

After nearly a two hour lunch, my friend and I did a few more return visits/ studies until 6:00.  We had a quick dinner and then I went to a couple stores for more hangers, a vacuum cleaner and some scrubby cleaning sponges.

Sunday:  I got up early this morning and did a thorough vacuuming of my apartment (including window sills, baseboards, etc) cause broom cleaning just wasn't cutting it.  That made me feel better.  Then I got ready, walked a couple blocks and hopped in a taxi to take me to the meeting.  Despite telling him I spoke very little Spanish, he insistently engaged me in conversation.  At first I was frustrated/ mildly irritated, then, surprised at what I could actually understand, I appreciated the practice.  We almost always have a "local" brother, since we are the only English congregation in the entire city, but they do such a nice job.  Our speaker this morning was a brother who, only 10 days ago was tied to a chair and robbed at gunpoint along with his wife in their own home.  I was later told that its not the first time someone has broken into their house.  Needless to say, we have no problem here placing this month's Awake on protecting yourself from crime.

After the meeting a large group of us (about 25) went to lunch.  If you haven't noticed, lunch is a big thing here.  And on Sundays, we joke that we have two meetings - one of spiritual food at the Kingdom Hall and the second of physical food at a restaurant in the area due to the large number of people in our group.  Its nice though, because the congregation is very close knit and much like a big family.

I caught two of my friends in funny poses:

 One devouring a huge burger (arguably the best in Quito)

The other with two ice cream cones in hand

With bellies full, we parted ways and one sister and I went back to my house to hang out a chat for a bit, before she (and many of the friends) had a drama review and bbq.  This is the third year in a row that Quito English has done the drama.  Interestingly, its mostly sisters who perform the work of stage hands.  Unfortunately, when most of your congregation is in the drama, its hard to keep things a secret... regardless, I'm looking forward to it very much.  Too bad I have to wait until August!

I decided to do some major scrubbing and started with the bathroom.  They use some type of black/ dark brown silicone/ caulk here and its splattered in various spots all over my bathroom.  So I scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed until I got it off the fixtures and shower walls and floor.  I also removed the security bars/ grate from my bathroom window (the other side of which is also an interior room).  It looked much better.  Then I sat down to catch up on some computer work and did a few Spanish lessons online -www.duolingo.com - its free!

No comments:

Post a Comment