Wednesday: This morning I worked until 9:30, then spent the rest of the morning preparing and studying for this evening's meeting. At 1:00, my roommate and I left the house to conduct a Bible study for a friend who wasn't feeling well.
While we were waiting, I was able to contact my Bible study and make arrangements to meet up again on Friday. I haven't seen her since I got back (mostly due to the fact that my phone was stolen) and I didn't have her number. Fortunately, we were able to keep in communication via email.
The study that afternoon went very well, and the girl's co-worker also joined in again this week for the study. I had brought along a copy of the Bible Teach book in Spanish and she enthusiastically participated in the discussion. Afterwards, it was beginning to rain, so we headed back to the house, but traffic was so heavy that it took nearly 45 minutes to get there.
Once home, I fixed dinner and then got ready for the meeting. We decided to leave early in case the traffic was still bad. So, at 5:45, we headed out the door. We arrived at the Kingdom Hall at 6:30. The meeting was quite lively (in true Quito English fashion). And afterwards, there were several new people to meet.
Upon arriving home, I had a cup of tea and went to sleep.
Thursday: This morning I worked until 8:30, then my roommate and I rushed off to meet the group. For the sake of time (and since the group was meeting somewhat further away) we decided to take a cab. Amazingly, we arrived at 9:02 :) Again we had a large group out this morning, 17 in total! We spoke to many English speakers and I was able to set up a study for Monday.
Since tomorrow is a national holiday, "the founding of Quito" we decided to quit early around 2:00pm. Businesses will be closed and the city hosts many parties in celebration. Many people are off from work both today and tomorrow. My roommate and I walked to Mall El Jardin ("the garden") and did our grocery shopping. Then, we walked 2 blocks to the bus stop and took the bus home.
By the time we arrived home it was 4:00pm. I began working on my teaching certification course and also was able to Skype my dear, dear friend in NY for a few minutes :) I fixed dinner for myself and a cup of tea and continued to work on my teaching course until finally retiring at 9:30. It was difficult to sleep because I could hear the noise from the city - the loud music and partying that carried on until around midnight.
Friday: This morning I picked up a couple hours of work and so I finished teaching around 8:30am. Just in time to quickly change and leave for the service group. I missed the bus by about 30 seconds and so I briskly walked to the group instead. We had 16 out in the ministry this morning! A few were assigned to preach in the park, while the rest of us concentrated on the census work in the surrounding blocks. Our group had so many positive experiences!!
Around noon, we broke for lunch at the El Jardin Mall since it was the closest location. While, there, we found more English speakers to talk to and enjoyed some positive conversation among ourselves. During lunch, we also got the crazy idea to film a brief video skit in the park across the street. So all those left remaining (10 of us total) walked back across the street and spent about 30 minutes messing around with songs and a skit. This video will never be posted as its cast members have all been sworn to secrecy. I shouldn't even mention its existence.
My friend and I continued on and did some calls in the nearby neighborhood. Unfortunately, my Bible study was ill and canceled for today. But my friend and I headed to the mall to do some more witnessing as the location we had been in was about to get rowdy and crazy due to the holiday. At 6:15, I had to go home so I could eat something quickly and then begin work by 7:15. I taught a couple classes and then went straight to bed - tomorrow was going to be another long day!
No comments:
Post a Comment