Wednesday, December 4, 2013

11-29-13 & 11-30-13 Service, Studies and a Special Meeting

Friday:  This morning I picked up a couple shifts for work and then met the group for service.  We had a great day, with many positive experiences.  We stopped for lunch just after noon and then continued on for the afternoon.  At 1:30, I met up with a sister for her study.  At 1:45, however, she still had not arrived.  To our surprise the co-worker of the study showed up and explained that the other woman was on her way.  Though she did not speak much English, we invited her to join us and follow along.  My friend quietly explained to me that this woman had previously expressed that she didn't believe in the Bible, so we were quite surprised when she accepted our invitation.  The study went so well, with both ladies participating (one in English and one in Spanish).  At the end of the study, I offered to bring back a Bible Teach book in Spanish for the co-worker and she said she would appreciate it.  How much joy we get when people take an interest in the truth (in any language)!

After that Bible study, we made a couple calls until it was time to head to the Bible study I had planned for the day.  Unfortunately, when we got there, the woman was unable to take a break from work because her other co-worker had to leave for the day.  And then, it started to rain.

We quickly walked to the mall one block up and decided to search for English speakers there until the rain stopped.  We found a good number of English speakers, but the rain was showing no sign of lessening, so we hopped in a taxi and rode back to my house.  It was around 5:00pm when we arrived.  My friend had a dinner engagement at 6:00 so she departed about 45 minutes later, but we enjoyed a nice cup of tea in the meantime to warm up from the cool, damp, windy weather that afternoon.

I fixed myself some dinner and devoted the rest of the night to my online TESOL classes (I'll be so glad when I finish!).

Saturday:  This morning I picked up 3 hours of work and then got ready for the special meeting/ interviews at our Kingdom Hall for the International Convention in January of 2015.  Upon arriving, the Kingdom Hall was abuzz with activity!  There were approximately 140 in attendance from a variety of congregations in the Quito area.  Information was reviewed as the the various roles and responsibilities of the volunteers by 4-5 different speakers.  Then, we were dismissed into smaller groups for our interviews.  What an exciting day it was!! Of course, this is just the beginning we were told and there would be many more meetings, reviews, practice sessions and even tests!!  Such a privilege to be in attendance!!!

I stopped at my favorite orchid store near the Kingdom Hall and picked up a dendrobium orchid for my roommate (a dark purple color - her favorite - and very fragrant).  This afternoon was a somber occasion as she would be listening to the funeral talk of her dear friend in Florida.

Afterwards, I proceeded to "hit the books" again and try to whittle away at the 150 hour TESOL course looming over me.

In the evening, a few friends got together at Crepes & Waffles to say a (temporary) goodbye to one of our sisters who would be traveling home to Colorado for the month of December.

No comments:

Post a Comment