Thursday, April 18, 2013

04-15-13 - 04-17-13 Back to Quito

Monday:  We arrived back around 8:30 this morning and I spent the day "catching up"; unpacking, organizing, grocery shopping and cooking.  I was still pretty tired from the overnight bus, and though we had such a wonderful time in Cuenca and at the Circuit Assembly, I was glad to be back.

Tuesday:  Today I slept in and then went for a walk/ run at the nearby Carolina Park.  It felt good to get some true exercise (finally!)  Once I returned to the house, I did some cleaning and then began searching for apartments again and made an appointment to visit the next day.  I contacted a few of my return visits to set up appointments and did some RBC work in the afternoon/ evening and then reviewed some options for my next visa application.  The one roommate departed today and so it was the first night I had a bed and room to myself - yea!!

Wednesday:  I woke up earlier this morning and headed to Carolina Park again for another run/ walk.  I did some more food prep and cooking after returning home and searched online for more apartments.  Just when I was ready to leave for my 2:00pm appointment, the woman called me to reschedule for 5:30pm that afternoon, which I arrived fashionably late for.  My taxi driver had no clue where he was going, despite giving him directions.  He kept missing the turn and stopped three times to ask passersby where the street was.  I finally pulled out my map and showed him, then had to direct him at each turn.  Meanwhile, the meter is running so I am paying for his mistake.  In fact, it cost me more than three times what it should have been :(  Finally, I arrived.  The apartment had been recently remodeled, it smelled clean, fresh and free of any mold, mildew or other mustiness.  The floor was new, and the cabinets/ shelving in the bedrooms was new as well.  The price was reasonable, but no furnishings or appliances were included.  From there, I tried to catch a taxi for the meeting.  After twenty-five minutes, I began to get frustrated - it seemed like everyone but a taxi was trying to pick me up!! Finally, I was successful and headed off to the meeting.  Once there, I felt better.  Afterwards, one of our elders and his wife were kind enough to give us a ride home.  I hadn't eaten before the meeting so I made corvina (sea bass) - cajun style - and asparagus when I got home - yum!!  Then it was off to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment